Tuesday 4 November 2008

Forgotten

I mentioned in an earlier blog a project I've been set about typography that gets neglected in some way. I've chosen to base my work around typography we know exists, but we easily forget about or take for granted.

For example, the numbers on a gas meter. How often do you think about them? Do you forget they are there? When was the last time you read the numbers/instructions/ warnings around yours?


Here are some things I found interesting when I had a probe around my house & the streets. Some will be starting points for making my final project.

When I took the back off my mobile phone to look at the battery, I noticed this on the inside cover. I've had my phone for 2 years and never noticed this before.

I had a peep in between my cooker and kitchen cupboard, and noticed this. I thought it said "Ass" at first, then realised it was "Gas". Oops!

I love the type on this drainpipe. It's dead straight and the font is very industrial.

These marks are all over the streets but I can't say I've ever really noticed them until I started looking for them.

This is a pipe that caught my eye behind my washing machine. To me, the text is just gibberish, but to somebody it will mean something.

Most people throw their receipts away without looking at them. Also, there's a lot of different things written on them but we tend to ignore most of it and just look at the price or the items.

One of my favourites; an arrow or triangle with the number 13 spray painted onto the pavement. I like the colour and also it doesn't point to anything visible, it's just there.

More to come on the development on this project!

No comments:

 
Custom Search